Tuesday, October 9, 2007

mr. venice (for shakespeare project)

The next few poems are what I'm going to be using for my Shakespeare project. Basically, we get to do any creative project and write a paper/do a presentation at the end of the course. I'm doing a combination poetry/photography for a few characters. This one's about Shylock from the Merchant of Venice:

Mr. Venice

In the ovens, the gold coins melt,
melting Venice and it's petty coke wars.
If you want to remember
do not keep our organs locked up in cabinets
along with yellow photographs and our mother's aprons
and thermometers and kitchen knives.
With swastikas for eyes, you cannot see:
(i am you)

We will tear out the baby-shoes
like we will tear out your hearts.
Christian soldiers in paper armor
swallowing barbed wire like communion grape juice.
With swastikas for eyes, you cannot see:
(i am you)

You stole my bread.
You stole my caskets.
You rearranged the letters in my name.
You stole my pillboxes.
You stole my half moon spectacles.
You squeezed my wife's ring on the sausage-finger of your whore.
You stole my daughter and made her your tinsel angel in your Christmas pageant.
You stole my daughter
bastards.

No comments: