Thursday, July 9, 2009

seven deadly sins

http://www.continuetolearn.uiowa.edu/iswfest/
I'm taking a "Seven Deadly Sins" poetry class at the Iowa Summer Writing Festival this week, and I'm pretty much a gigantic poetry burrito at this point. I'm amazed at the things I'm learning, one of which is that I really don't fit in at wine and cheese receptions. I ate my brie and finger sandwiches and bailed.
This is my instructor's work. She is rad.


You know you're a huge nerd when...
You attempt to write a cento and sort of feel like you're being buried alive.
Verb tense pisses you off.
You're excited by phrases like "and the stars in the sky are still boss" (that's Corso. I want it tattooed on my body).
You brainstorm about poetry series while drinking Dr. HyVee in the wee hours of morning.
You get maniacally excited about all these contemporary poets you didn't previously know about, then you attempt to get all your non-writer friends to become as obsessed as you.
A prose poem about disembodied ears is the class favorite.

No comments: