Wednesday, August 22, 2007

electric shoes-8/22/07

Here's something I wrote while bumming around in the library before my 2:10 Women's Lit class. This is the first real poem I've written for awhile.
And no, I'm currently not on acid.

Electric Shoes

I’ve got pair electric shoes
I walk up in the sky most every night, sometimes it breaks the heat
in a powdery shatter.
I give it to the swaying monks of 3 am
walking the streets unarmed, the peace girls
giving out their alms.

I’ve got a room with a few stray cats
that smoke cigarettes and stay up
to wag their tongues out the window
so they can sing their song to the wolves that pass outside
it sounds like laughter, and I become their sound.

I’ve got a dress that’s a certain shade of red
I wear it because an old man told me
I looked like a commie flag
only a bit more glamorous
a little less frightening
but no less willing to burst through containment
like a Chinese river.
I wear it most every night, holding hands with Bolsheviks
and drinking cheap beer with Japanese fashionistas.

I’ve got a swarm of bees in my brain
That make honey that drips out of my tongue, slow as melting wax
whenever I open my mouth.
They are quiet, though, or at least their rhythm
matches up with the way silence punctuates an accent.

I’ve got a pair of electric shoes
And when I make that clockwork stroll up in the sky
August sings me liberty
And I try to remember the word but it rushes to the back of my brain
And graffiti’s itself as if I’ll remember.

No comments: