Saturday, September 6, 2008

tova

I read a short interview in Time magazine about a woman named Tova who was a flawless matchmaker, but only for Orthodox Jews. She claimed that the first time she made a match, God spoke to her.

-d


******


Tova

Five pointed stars swing over my head
a silent wind chime
that only I can hear.

People are like icebergs
but age and violent sunlight
make everything that is underwater
seem less significant.

I must be some sort of reparation
for the ash we lived in all those years.
The only thing god could send
was flowers and chocolates.
Diamonds are the new manna.

I send them all to live in white houses
with fresh cut flowers brought in by some Gentile woman
every Wednesday.
Bathrooms with monogrammed towels
and portraits in the paper.

And I sit on my digital cloud
waiting for names and faces to magnetize.

No comments: