Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Addictee--1/22/08

Make no mistake. I chose you
because you seemed weak.
You were convinced you were old.
"There's a point," you said,
"when you can't go back."
When the rollercoaster takes it's fatal dive.
You've experimented,
you had been in these same gutters before.

Make no mistake. I chose you
because you were an artist.
(All of those assholes are the same.
So in love with themselves
that they must destroy their bodies
with women like me.)

Make no mistake. I chose you
because you seemed so fragile.
I knew that I could make you spin so fast that
your eyes would plunge forward
until you were forced to shut them.

Goodbye to the houses
where you'd kill the cockroaches
and inhale me.
Not sleeping for days, my perfume mingling
with the greasy wax paper.

Goodbye, my addict.
I would have made you gray
and brought out the color you were born to be.
You exhale the years I still had
and the sidewalk and the forest girls
and the lights which we made pregnant
each one trembling as I waited
in the alley behind the pawn shop.

In spring you will eat vegetables
and ride your bike everywhere
healthy.
So healthy.

No comments: